Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Slowly Becoming a Washingtonian

Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed my last post. Since then, many things have happened but I will try and keep its short!

About my experiences:

This past week represented a lot of firsts. I hadn't ventured out more than a one mile radius from where I live and work, but I finally did this week. On Friday, my roommate and I decided we needed rain boots and we went shopping near Chinatown. Now, I've been to Chinatown but I didn't realize that it was practically in walking distance. We went to a huge Forever 21 which was stressful and pretty unsuccessful, which is good I guess. Needless to say, neither one of us found rain boots =(. That night we went out to Adams Morgan for the first time. Ever since I signed up for UCDC, all anyone would tell me to do was go to Adams Morgan. Now I know why! It was very lively. Restaurants, bars, clubs...they had it all. The people were equally interesting. One guy introduced himself to me as "Adams Morgan".....haha very original! At the end of our night we decided to go for oneof  the Jumbo slice pizzas that are so popular in Adams Morgan. They were definitely amazing but we all had to share because they were so huge.

On Saturday, my roommates and I took a tour of the Capitol. I wish I had more energy during our tour but I just didn't. Anyway, it was still cool to be walking around the Capitol but we didn't get to see where the House and Senate meet which is what I was most hoping to see. After the Capitol we were all starving. It was late lunch and my Peruvian roommate suggested we try Peruvian food. We went to a restaurant near our metro stop. It was small and quaint and looked authentic. We had the "Lomo Saltado" dish. It was amazing and kept me full past dinner. That night we celebrated one of our friend's birthday.

Sunday was mostly a lazy day. After being constantly on the move, it was nice to sleep in and not be on a schedule. My roommates and I ended up walking to Trader Joe's to grab some groceries. Apparently we had the same idea as 200 other Washingtonians but the service is so good at TJ's that it didn't seem to matter much. After we got back, I went to the school gym. I have been working on running, which I've hated since childhood. I did about 2.5 miles of running and .5 miles of walking which is more than I usually do!

Monday was MLK Day and we all had the day off. I intended to participate in the festivities happening here but I woke up too late. I ended up meeting a friend from home and shopping in Georgetown (another first). I LOVED Georgetown. The streets are old fashioned and adorable and the shopping wasn't too bad either. I managed to find a pair of $100 Steve Madden heals on sale for $20! The sales person had originally said they only had an 8.5 which was too big but I asked again and they found an 8! Can't say no to that =). Unfortunately, still no rain boots.

On Tuesday, I got up early for work, got ready and went to work only to find out I had the day off. The roads were icey and the people in my office were working from home. This was a pleasant surprise because I had a lot to get done anyway. Needless to say, I didn't get much done haha. I did however go to the gym and run 3 miles! Later that night, I met up with a friend for dinner. We went to an upscale "Southern" restaurant. I enjoyed everything I tried which usually is not the case for me. When I got back, I came home to quite a surprise. The apartment above us had set off the sprinklers! I was told our room was flooded which painted a Titanic-esque picture in my mind. When I got to the room, most of my roommates were sleeping. Somehow none of our possessions were damaged, thank God. The floors were completely drenched along with the roof of our shower. I was (still am) confused about the whole situation. The building hired help and started working on the damage that night which was disrupting for a bit.

Today I woke up to a group of men ready to tear down what seemed like everything in our apartment. I tried not to get in the way  and went to another room to get ready. When I got home from work, they were still working on our room and there are currently about 5 huge fans blowing throughout our apartment. I guess things could be worse.

On to my internship:

Last week, I met the other intern working in the office. We are the same age and she is awesome to work with! She has a lot of experience in the restaurant world and has great suggestions. Can't wait to try them all. I continued doing mostly the same tasks I had done before which was good because the more I practice the easier it gets. I have noticed this already.

On Tuesday, I had the day off but still worked a little from home. I started researching writers to pitch to on behalf of one of our clients. Being away from the office was difficult because of course I had 100 questions. I tired to improvise as much as possible and look things up when I really had no idea.

Today, I continued working on the pitches and actually pitched to a writer. I was really proud with my end result and glad that I was working with someone who was willing to help me along the way. I also did some Twitter monitoring for a client which resulted in a retweet by our client on a tweet I found. Its these small things that make happy! It is really cool to see my work actually become something. Its not like I'm writing a fake letter to someone to be graded or creating a fake powerpoint project. It is actually real.

Thats my update for now! I know its long again, sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment